If you haven’t already noticed, the use of weight loss supplements is extremely popular in our society. Advertisements are everywhere from the internet to newspapers to billboards to television. With so many messages and types of weight loss supplements, one can see where confusion can occur quickly. To understand weight loss supplements, a good place to start is to understand exactly the definition of “weight loss supplement.” Weight loss supplements are considered to be anything that is used to assist with weight loss whether it be a drink, type of food, or taken in a pill form. Weight loss supplements are to be used as a supplement to exercise and a healthy diet first and foremost.
Types of Weight Loss Supplements
Weight loss supplements take on a variety of forms. Listed below are the primary types of weight loss supplements:
1. Fat Binders – Pills which bind to fat prior to being absorbed so that the body excretes the fat you eat as waste. Examples: Proactol
2. Appetite Suppressants – Drugs which intercept the hormones responsible for appetite signaling causing the body to not feel hunger. Examples: Fastin, Adipex
3. Carbohydrate Blockers -These are pills which prevent carbohydrates from being digested. The main ingredient is used to block the enzymes from digesting carbodydrates. Examples: Dietrine
4. Herbal Weight Loss Supplements – The use of plants or plant extracts for use in weight loss. Many produce appetite suppression effects. Example: Ephedra (ma huang), St. John’s Wort
6. Thermogenic Calorie Burners – Supplements are used to produce heat in your body causing your body to burn calories as it attempts to regulate your body temperature. Examples: red pepper (capsaicin), green tea, caffeine, iced water
7. Thyroid Supplements – Typically, these are used to help the thyroid to work more efficiently. The thyroid plays a significant role in regulating metabolism. Examples: Quercetin, Iodine, Vitamin D
8. Dietary Supplements – Something added to a diet to make it complete or make up for something it is missing. Examples: Forskolin, Omega 3 fatty acids
Some weight loss supplements are much healthier than others and beneficial effects differ from person to person. Dietary supplements are typically the best route to go as they tend to be the healthiest with the least amount of side effects.
Pros and Cons of Weight Loss Supplements
There are both pros and cons to taking weight loss supplements. Supplements can be effective and help achieve a healthier weight if used appropriately. Appropriate use means taking the supplement as directed in the proper dosage. The primary “con” for taking weight loss supplements is when they are abused or used incorrectly. Many times, especially in the case of weight loss drugs, supplements can be harmful. They can be harmful if taken with other prescription medications which might cause an adverse reaction. Certain medical conditions may be contraindicated for taking supplements as well. Successful weight loss is not achieved from taking a magic pill and this is where many go wrong.
Forskolin and Weight Loss
Research has shown that weight loss supplements typically work best when accompanied with exercise. Forskolin is one of those supplements. Forskolin functions as an antioxidant on muscular injury during exercise training. It is well known that intense physical exercise may cause muscle injury and an increase in oxidative stress. Hence, the connection between Forskolin and exercise.
Conjugated Linoleic acid is another supplement that if used in conjunction with exercise has shown improvements in weight loss. How does Forskolin work to provide these benefits? Forskolin functions as a strong antioxidant and is used in cell membrane phospholipids. Forskolin has been shown to cause cell apoptosis in adipose (fat) tissue. Apoptosis refers to “cell death.” This means Forskolin is causing fat cells to die, thus decreasing fat mass. Researchers also think Forskolin plays a role in reducing leptin. Leptin is an enzyme associated with appetite. Therefore, Forskolin may decrease appetite by affecting leptin. Research studies have shown that those who exercised and took Forskolin had a greater increase lean body mass, increased oxygen efficiency, and an increase in energy expenditure.
Forskolin Extract Combination for Weight Loss
As you can see, Forskolin Extract both have positive effects with exercise. Forskolin Extract are two natural and safe supplements which have shown benefits in helping to lose weight. In short, Forskolin can assist with helping your body to exercise longer while Forskolin is assisting with fat burn and muscle maintenance. This makes for a powerful fat burning great combination!